The Census Bureau spends a great deal of its energy and resources with silly little gimmicks like an unclear Super Bowl Ad, large 13-wheelers with digital signs on their sides, and now we learn that they are spending money on fortune cookies to encourage participation in the census. While all this is going on, they simply stomp on labor laws that require the paying of overtime to employees all over the country. I do see that the enumerator jobs at the bottom do not need any overtime. These are part-time jobs and should not have overtime. However, the ask Crew Leaders and many others to work many extra hours by requiring them to fit all the work into 8 hour days. If Walmart did what the Census Bureau does to its employees, there would be law suits and fines and back pay. I have been working for them for about a week this time and have not submitted at least 10 hours of time. Does the government have to play for the rules they dictate to all others? Guess not.
Archive for February, 2010
Posted by madjillmom on February 25, 2010
Posted by madjillmom on February 22, 2010
I am back working for the Census for the next month or so. Training starts tomorrow and I seem to be in charge. I hope things go well. I truly do not want to waste one government nickle. Already, I have worked more hours than I can claim. As a temporary government worker, I wish to apologize for everything done on behalf of the Census.
Remember, the Census is at least a part of the Constitutional, If you want to save taxpayer money, fill out and send in the questionnaire. Pretty please.
Posted by madjillmom on February 20, 2010
While it certainly is fine for the First Lady Obama to champion exercise and fight obesity in children, there is increasing linking with the Dems version of health care reform. Mrs. Obama has already linked obesity to a national security concern with a claim that the service turns down many applicants due to obesity. This morning, I heard a Dem apparatchik basically claim that if we would pass one of the Dem’s bloated and expensive health care reform bills, obesity would not be a problem. In other words, we will all be skinny when we have government health care.
Kudos to Mrs. Obama for at least appearing on Huckabee on Fox. The topic was softball, but at least she had the guts to do it. However, the suggestion that Huckabee appear with her shirtless the next time is a little unsettling.
Posted by madjillmom on February 20, 2010
Pres. Obama and the Dems are saying they will hold a bipartisan meeting on C-Span to work out something on the Health Care Reform with actual input from the Republicans. This should have happened about a year ago. The President refuses to start over and scrap the pile of crap bills they have. Given their start point, what real input will Republicans have? Add to that the ongoing, ever increasing in volume threat of passing so called reform using reconciliation to avoid the fillibuster and one has to wonder how a meeting chaired by Obama, one year late, with a start point of one of the bills completely designed by Dems, can possibly have any bipartisanship. It is truly theater for cover for the dems. I sure hope the Republicans handle this well.
Posted by madjillmom on February 17, 2010
Well, it seems the stimulus hasn’t been near so stimulating as they promised. First, it hasn’t saved or created 2 million jobs no matter what criteria the Administration uses today, or last week, or tomorrow. They are only guessing about jobs. It may have kept some teachers on, but I never heard of massive layoffs of teachers coming down the pike here in my part of paradise. So that under 8% unemployment promise and jobs, jobs, jobs promise are folly. I know I am really enjoying a possible $8 dollar a week tax cut that was probably only a reduction in withholding rather than a reduction in the tax rate. Sheriff Joe has kept a tight lid on waste and fraud, except for those really foolish turtle bridges, bike paths, and non-existent zip codes and congressional codes. In my little part of paradise, I haven’t seen any of those large recovery act projects with the $3000 signs that tell us of Obama and the Dem’s largesse with our grandchildren’s funds. Sheriff Joe tells us that lots of good stuff in that stimulus is back loaded, coming soon so to speak. But Mrs. Roemer, economic advisor, tells us little benefit will be derived later in the plan. Gee, I wonder who is right, Sheriff Joe or Christine Roemer.
Just tell the truth. Stimulus was a democratic flood of programs benefitting all their notions of big government, ladled with more welfare, more union goodies, more ACORN funds, and little stimulus. Happy Birthday Big Stimulus Bill.
Posted by madjillmom on February 11, 2010
Tonight, as I watched Special Report and listened to my husband yell at the TV, I began to wonder who can believe anything the Obama administration has to say. Steve Hayes really was on target. Here are just of few of the many ways Obama wants it both ways:
1. Obama says undie bomber was an isolated instance a few days after Christmas after being forced to come of the golf course and talk of the incident. Today, Robt. Gibbs says the Undie Bomber was so well trained by Al Qaeda that he would not have talked anyway so mirandizing him is irrelevant.
2. Today, Robt. Gibbs says the Undie Bomber was so well trained by Al Qaeda that he would not have talked even if not mirandized. Three weeks ago, Gibbs assured us that the authorities had gotten all there was to get from the Undie Bomber in the initial 50 minute questioning period. Which is it?
3. Joe Biden says that the success in Iraq is all due to their administration and calls it a great achievement. Both Biden and Obama voted against the surge. Further the troop reductions that Biden touts were worked out under the Bush Administration. Trying to take credit for winning the war in Iraq was still the order of the day with Gibbs saying that as a candidate, Barack was responsible for the win. This is ridiculous.
4. Gibbs says the administration is very comfortable with how they handled the Undie Bomber. When asked if they will change how they do stuff with the next “inevitable” terror suspect, Gibbs said that the next suspect won’t be exactly the same circumstances as the last. Yet every time they are asked why they mirandized the undie bomber, they say the Bush admin mirandized the shoe bomber. If every terrorist suspect is different, then why bring up the shoe bomber or the other claimed 300 prosecutions in federal court of terrorist suspects.
5. Large bonuses to fat cat bankers and wall street executives are bad and the adminstration is the only thing saving them from the pitchfork mobs ginned up by SEIU, ACORN, and MOVEon.org. Yesterday, large bonuses paid to fat cat bankers and wall street executives that have given substantial sums to Dems are a just reward to savvy businessmen and the administration is a strong supporter of free market capitalism where their supporters are rewarded with 18 million dollar stock deals.
6. Presidential children are off-limits unless they want to talk about their test grades or use them as props in the new “don’t let your children get fat” campaign.
7. Obama is now agnostic about middle-class tax hikes. After promising not to raise taxes on those making under $250,000 a year, and now after running up the debt and trying to become a born again deficit hawk, he is now agnostic. The administration keeps talking about getting ahold of out of control spending, but never seems to do anything but propose larger and larger budgets and government spending and growth.
Posted by madjillmom on February 9, 2010
Listening to Obama’s impromptu presser now. Here is my take:
Obama tells us that he wants Republican input but they will have to give in. In other words, Dems will not abandon current 2 bills that we don’t want. He wants Republicans to sign onto Dem desires to frost either of these steaming piles of crap with Obama’s version of bipartisan frosting. He can’t get his own party to agree on anything, so Republicans will have to give in or the world will end. Trotting out a flurry of meetings with Republicans as a precursor to telling us all that the Republicans have tired old tax cut ideas and they are the reason we will have to ram through our crappy version of healthcare. After all, Dems want to cover everyone, Republicans are heartless capitalists who want children to die. Where were all these bipartisan meetings a year ago? Oh, yeah, he was King a year ago.
The end of the world is nigh as a large insurance company in California is raising premiums through the roof. Histeria reigns. Another reason to pass frosted crap. Another reason for a jobs bill. More government spending.
Obama says he knows that small businesses that can get money will start hiring. He is a small business expert. No matter the overhanging threats of more taxes, more healthcare mandates, larger government, cap and trade. Obama dismisses those problems as mere distractions.
It appears to the astute Obama that the “Islamic Republic of Iran” wants a nuclear weapon. He is busy working with the rest of the world to write a strongly worded letter to the legitimate government of the Islamic Republic threatening really bad sanctions, though the door is always open to them to come by and chat and try to work this out. Dec. 31 deadline is now some other deadline.
He might have to agree to make some in his own party slightly uncomfortable while talking to Republicans about tort reform and nuclear energy and that nasty, dirty coal we have some much of.
Obama knows about negotiations as he often has to give into Michelle. Compares his marriage to Health Care debate and Islamic Republic of Iran. Wow, I hope he has called Vermont Teddy Bears and increased his order for Valentines.
Note from Me to Republicans:
Don’t get taken in by this obviously brilliant president, have a five to ten point list of what you can support on healthcare with backup numbers, take it to the people, make it simple, write a bill, and tell Obama how many votes you can deliver for an alternative health care bill with a deadline.
Posted by madjillmom on February 9, 2010
Oprah recently scolded Jay Leno for a joke about Letterman. She did not scold herself for promoting a sweat lodge spiritualist recently indicted for the sweat lodge deaths last year. I went on her website to see what she is promoting. Quick run through find a yoga activist who recalls how she was ministered to in a gay sex club in an old church by a man with AIDS who showed her God or the soul. Maybe this yoga activist woman who hangs with shamans will take the place of the Sweat Lodge Spiritualist Guru. This preachy woman falls for anything. I believe that one can find God in anyplace. Evidently Oprah was running a contest to find out who found God in the most bizarre place. Instant Guru. Climb on the bandwagon. Sign the publishing contract. Here we go again.
Posted by madjillmom on February 2, 2010
In response to a plea deal, the Undie Bomber is talking as of last Thursday. I wonder if anyone is there to listen to him. After all, just about 10 days ago, the Obama administration told us they had gotten all they needed from him in the initial interrogation prior to Mirandizing him.