Ray Rice, Football, and Domestic Violence
Posted by madjillmom on September 9, 2014
Honestly, I am having a problem with all this stuff about Ray Rice. Is he getting the death penalty in football? While hitting a woman you profess to love is abhorrent, did he get due process on this matter.
1. Did Ray Rice get the same kind of treatment as any other man? He went before a court and accepted a punishment in lieu of jail. This program works with 1st time abusers to correct the situation. If Ray Rice was a truck driver, and this was first time offense, would he have been allowed to go through the court ordered program and come out a better person for it? If Ray Rice wasn’t granted special consideration, why does he suddenly need the football death penalty?
2. How much was alcohol involved? There was an obvious verbal fight going on and there is word that she spit in his face. Spitting in someones face is a really bad thing too. Didn’t deserve what happened to her, but alcohol and action on her part did play a role.
3. The NFL wants big, macho, mean football players to make money. Does this play into the situation, too?
4. The NFL went too soft first, then too hard yesterday. They publicly stated that only after a second offense would someone face possible suspension. There is no evidence of a second offense.
5. There is an argument that Ray Rice should be held to a higher standard. Good argument. Where are those guys? Killers, dog abusers, thugs all present and accounted for.
6. Has the NFL looked at the culture that surrounds many of these young men, the misogyny, the music, the general degradation of women in culture today.
7. Since when is ESPN the arbiter of all things in our society.
8. Just would totally hate for anyone to be judged for a single act. To be judged at the lowest part of your life would be so sad.
If Ray Rice has a history of abusing women, then throw the book at him.